Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bloom Where You Are Planted- sort of!



I've always loved the little saying, "Bloom Where You Are Planted". To one who has "bloomed" in quite a few different places and situations over the years, I have tried to take this advice to heart, and I think I've been pretty successful, if happiness is the measure of that success.



Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers, so funky and fun, but Steve doesn't love them quite as much, favoring a little more orderly look in the front yard. So, this year, in an attempt at a more formal look in our landscape, I didn't plant any sunflowers along my little corner fence.


Well, as you can see, this "volunteer" sunflower from last year's crop, is REALLY blooming where it- wasn't exactly planted! I think it's so funny- and just a little bit of a poke of fun at all the other roses, zinnias and other more "acceptable" front yard plantings. This giant plant has to be at least 15 feet tall with a beautiful bronze blossom at the very tippy-top! The stalk is strong and straight with big, wide leaves jutting out all the way up.


My independent, non-conformist streak is really enjoying this giant "fun" flower! Sometimes I stand inside the door and watch neighborhood children pointing up at the big, green stalk, as their parents just shake their heads. "You never know what that Linda is going to be planting in her garden"!


So, what's my point? Only this: Sometimes, we just have to "bloom where we are planted", and we'll be big, and strong, and beautiful, like my one and only sunflower! We can make plans and plans and plans, but sometimes things don't work out quite as we planned. So, the best thing to do then is to "bloom where we are planted"! In fact, sometimes that works out even better!


Don't forget- Be like my Sunflower and Make Your Day a Great One!






Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment